Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Double Vision Not Fun, But Manageable

When battling a brain tumour, sometimes visual disturbances are a given. Having had my share, I thought I would be pretty used to it by now. Not necessarily so. It's been about 8 weeks post radiation to the brain and apparently it's quite difficult to get through that completely unscathed. Therein lies the next problem. I have developed double vision. It's the kind where when there are three people in a room it looks more crowded....more like six people. It's the kind that while driving (when I was still driving), the lines on the road are all over the place. There are no legitimate lanes to be seen. Very disturbing on so many levels.

After an emergency MRI, the results show that there is swelling on the nerve behind the eye. The nerve that creates movement, not vision. So, now back on steroids is where I find myself for the next month or so to attempt to reduce the swelling. I'm sure I will bloat, puff, etc., but at least I am alive and well.

Now I sit in a little retreat called the cottage of a dear friend. Nice and relaxing....nothing but fresh air and another few days of R & R. Good friends are such rare treasures. I am grateful for mine.

No comments: