Friday, August 21, 2009

Grasping at straws to feel better

So much has happened in the last month. It's going to be hard to put it all together, but I will do my best.

After the development of double vision, I was sent for an emergency MRI which determined a swollen nerve behind the eye. I was immediately placed on horrible steroids to reduce the swelling. Well, this worked for the swollen nerve, but, it screwed up every other part of my body. I was bloated beyond any nine month pregnant woman, it thinned my gums, thinned my scalp, dried out my skin, caused terrible joint pain in my knees and ankles, heartburn, and it made me ravenous for food. There were other side effects as well, but I couldn't possibly mention them in detail in this blog. You'll have to wait for the book.

I was weaned off the drug sooner than expected because of all the discomfort and pain associated with the steroid. While at the appointment with the brain radiation oncologist, my husband asked, "when is she going to start feeling normal again?" The good doctor replied, "nothing about what she's been through has been normal, therefore, I really can't say". This was the time for the doctor to lie to me and say it's only a matter of days or weeks. His reply went on to make it sound like if things were "normal" with me to start with, it would only take two to four weeks to start feeling well again. He intimated that it could very well take up to a year or so. Damn, I wish he had lied to me....mind over matter would have made a huge difference.

It took two weeks for the effects to wear off and now....only now, am I starting to feel a bit better. I am still exhausted much of the time. I don't have a whole lot of energy and when I do, I overdo it. I need to start scheduling rest time, naps, etc. to help the healing process along.

This has been a grueling process. These set backs, however minor, are still inconvenient a major thorn in my side. I will be attending my next three month check up later this week and will report back then.



No comments: