"Stress Can Kill" according to Dr. Oz. Another one of Oprah's "a star is born". First it was Dr. Phil and now Dr. Oz has his own TV show. Dr. Oz is an alleged expert on everything. Everything medical that is. So, I ask myself, why don't I have my own TV show? I am, afterall, a medical expert as well....only as a patient, not a doctor. He got paid who knows how much to film an hour of "Stress Can Kill", as if we never heard that before. He offered some advice on how to control stress, ie: eat right, exercise, deep breathing, Well, I've got a few more, since I am also a stress receiving expert...write, vent, kick, scream, (sometimes you have to) and there are other ways of managing stress that I can't get into because it's all part of my project. That's right, I'm writing a book.
If there is one thing that this illness has done for me, it has given me time. Thankfully. Time to write and time to think. Time to rediscover and time to remember. Time to go to MD appointments averaging 2 per week.
After being told by the good MD's that I shouldn't work for at least another year, while I'm recovering, I find myself bored at times. I'd love to work part time, but what would I do. I don't have the energy to work a full day. I don't have the physical strength to do the work I loved doing and spent over 10 years doing. (Aesthetics for those of you who may not know) So, while I'm supposed to be taking it easy, it is stressing me out.
Although, I don't see myself working full time any time soon, perhaps there is something I can do. Perhaps I can offer my expertise and experience to others suffering through illness or the medical system. Perhaps I can advocate for those who can't advocate for themselves. Perhaps I can offer workshops to those who visit the sick. There is so much to know about what to say and what not to say. There is much I can offer when the time is right.
There are many stressful components in my life and not all of them are within my control, so I deal with them to the best of my ability, but there are a few stressful situations that I can control, and will, to elimiate the current threat of high blood pressure. Just one more thing to worry about.
It's seems like there is no definite end in sight. Follow up appointments every 2 weeks to 3 months for various conditions over the next 3 years and something new creeping up all the time, it seems. Could it be true? It ain't over til it's over? I suppose time will tell.
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment