Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Seinfeld....Live From Florida (It Seems)

During this trip to Florida, all that was required was a little R & R. Not too much to ask, right? Well, it seems that living in a seniors compound, where there is so much to do and so many activities to register for and so many courses to take, that maybe......just maybe this wasn't the place to rest so completely.

Thankfully, our parents are extremely active and social and they are on the go 24/7. Certainly, that doesn't mean I have to be. The beginning of this "get-away" has been very busy with the parents and their friends. I know they all wish me well and wanted to see me since the Cancer treatments and before my next surgery, so I allowed it. What I wasn't prepared for was running into a "Seinfeld" episode. Friday night we went to a restaurant in Boca filled with the same people I'm sure I saw there last year. Then, just outside the restaurant (as we were leaving) we saw what seemed to be a reenactment of a "Seinfeld" episode, with different people, but similar characters. There was Morty & Helen Seinfeld (Jerry's parents), a few of their neighbours in Florida, and we even saw Uncle Leo another evening at a different restaurant. The moral of this little story is that if you've ever watched a "Seinfeld" episode when he was visiting his parents in Florida.....it's very real and similar things do happen. The early bird specials....don't be late....if you're not there at 4:30 p.m. you could miss out. The "yentas" by the pool....oy, that's a whole other blog. It is all very entertaining to say the least. Our parents have very dear friends down here and for them it is wonderful to catch up during the winter months that feel more like summer (most of the time). It seems that watching them in action (by that I mean gossiping, talking, catching up), there seems to be this need for one upmanship. Who can talk the loudest....who can complete a full sentence with their mouth full of food (and be understood), who knows more about whom.....and of course who got the best deal and where. I am truly blessed that there is this kind of activity for seniors and our parents seems to really enjoy themselves. For me....well.....it's a bit early to spend too much time here, but we do enjoy the time we are here.

Other than a few concrete plans with friends and family....I am dedicating the remainder of this "get away" to rest. Lots and lots of rest. After all, I will need the strength to go through the next surgery next week.

All in all, if we happen to run into a few more "Seinfeld" like characters....I will continue to smile, laugh and enjoy the likeness and at the same time the entertainment.

No comments: