Friday, January 30, 2009

I'm Handling This Like The Trooper That I Am

I have been at home recuperating for almost 6 days. I'm getting a little bored and having my Mom here with me to take care of all the little things and schlep me around has been a fabulous help to me......except when we both get cabin fever. This weather is not helping either one of us....but, let's be clear....this is still about me. Her friends (who are my friends too) have been contacting her from all over (she's supposed to be in Florida for the winter, but came back for 3 weeks to take care of me....aaaaaawwwwww) to see how I am. I can only hear her end of the conversation and it goes something like this....."she's doing remarkably well just like the trooper she is". Sometimes there is even a reference to "wonder woman".....who me? Well, we all know I've been to hell and back a few times, but it's really something to hear the same comment and/or report being given repeatedly. I went for a follow up blood test this morning and when the MD asked me how I was doing, I said "I'm doing remarkably well just like the trooper that I am".

Cabin fever.....mother/daughter (even though we are good friends most of the time)......post brain surgery......crappy weather.....this is the perfect recipe for disaster. To top it off, if I have a major mood swing (which I did once or twice already) the *&#@ can really hit the fan. How does one cope with the stress of it all. Well, we are both reading the same book....taking turns like good girls and trying not to fight about it. I've been learning some Yiddish words and having a hysterical time with that....playing scrabble (too much work for the brain most days), reminiscing of days gone
by....most recently about my last trip to Florida....I've come to another conclusion.....Century Village is like Facebook for seniors. They are constantly running into old friends that they went to school with, went to camp with, etc. It serves the same purpose. In any case, we are trying to come up with different ways to get through this.

Another way of dealing with the aforementioned mood swings, is researching all I can about menopause. These uncontrollable menopausal symptoms that I am experiencing just aren't helping this situation....or any other situation I might find myself in.....i.e. parenting, wifing, daughtering, sistering, and friending. Although, after watching Oprah's evening web cast last night, Dr. Christiane Northrup said it best when she said that having a radical hysterectomy and being thrown into menopause is like driving 80 miles per hour on the highway and then stopping suddenly. So, you see..... I am doing remarkably well like the trooper I am. After all, I am Wonder Woman.

No comments: