The perfect getaway. Niagara Falls in March. Beautiful, mild weather. Bonding time with the boys, since the past 6 months have been strained. We had the best time walking, talking, eating, shopping, sharing, caring, picture taking and loving. I'm only sorry it had to end to come back to the next five weeks of our reality.
In the meantime we have some fun memories. One in particular I promised I'd share. We crossed the border to the United States for a day of Outlet Mall Shopping. I used to be pretty good with directions, but apparently - not so much now. We drove across the Rainbow Bridge, followed the directions given by the hotel until we came to a round-about. The signs were confusing, so I kept driving around the round-about until I decided to turn off. Sure enough, it was the wrong way. I made a U-turn and went back around the round-about again. I turned off in a different direction and this time it was the right way. We made it to the Outlet Mall, had a blast, and on the way back...well, we sort of got lost.
I will swear that there were no signs leading me back to my exit. So, I ended up crossing the Lewiston Bridge only to find I had to pay a toll. When I attempted to explain that I had gone too far and was "sort of lost", the attendant took no pity on me until after I paid the toll. He actually refused to give me directions until I paid the toll (which I was trying to get out of). All I wanted to do was to turn around and try again, but he wouldn't hear of it.
Finally, I found my way back to the "round-about". I went around and around a number of times, made myself and the kids dizzy and went the wrong way again. Another U-turn and we were back on the round-about. This time I listened to my son who insisted he knew where we were and sure enough he was right. Nothing makes him happier than being a know-it-all.
When crossing the border back into Canada I was so shaken and aggravated that I was sure I would get nailed at Customs. I was sweating (no kidding, eh) and I had to have looked guilty. The Customs Officer was thorough in obtaining information from me and then she asked my younger son some questions. This was not good...for those of you who really know him, he's only too happy to tell all to anyone who will listen. My blood pressure shot up a few notches. I was sure he would have stories to tell about how we got lost, all the shopping we did, how much money we spent, etc. But, to my utter amazement, he only said his name and verified that I was his mother. I learned to never under estimate my children. We were so happy to find ourselves back at the hotel...we could have kissed the ground.
Aside from getting lost and a bit stressed, we had a fabulous time. Niagara rocks!!!!
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment