Wednesday, April 15, 2009

13 Down - 12 To Go!

Being at the half way point sure has it's advantages.

I have completed 13 out of 25 treatments and although I am getting through it, this has been really tough so far. The good doctor informed me that it will only get worse before it's over and then handed me a prescription for 100 T3's, all to be taken within the next 3 weeks. I think not. I don't need a codeine addiction on top of everything else.

I also got called into my Family Doctor's office for a TB skin test. Apparently, I may have been exposed to some health care practitioner coughing and sneezing all over me in the operating room in January. So far, the test is negative...thank goodness. Do I need anything else to worry about? Have I not had enough thus far? Have I not been a "trooper"?

Only 12 more treatments to go. ONLY!!!!! As gruelling as these treatments tend to be, I am going to make it through. I continue to focus on an upcoming "survival" holiday that my husband is taking me on. I visualize the beach, the ocean, the sun, the warmth, the "alone" time we get to spend together.....and most of all, the get away. Far, far away from these past eight months.

In the meantime, I have been blessed with wonderful friends and a great family. They schlep me on a daily basis to my radiation appointments, allow me to fall asleep on the way home, and/or complain about the headaches and nausea. I don't know what I would do without them. I was fortunate enough to meet some wonderful people in the waiting room this week. A patient with the same, warped, sense of humour, about this process, as me. Her friends and another patient who isn't doing as well. One friend was courageous enough to honour a request by me. I asked her to come into my treatment room to take photographs of me in the contraption, etc. She got through it with some difficulty, but came through nonetheless. I have never looked in the mirror while I am in the metal, halo-like contraption. When I saw the photos after my treatment, the image was shocking. Was that really me? OMG!!!!

When I arrived at my appointment today, I was presented with a little package by one of the therapists. It was left for me by this patient that I met this week. She thought I could benefit from this "Green Scapular". A Virgin Mary prayer like ornament to help get through extremely tough times and to escape death. I am so grateful for her thoughtfulness and along with several Hebrew prayers, given to me over the past eight months, it accompanies me to my remaining treatments.

This journey has allowed me to meet some incredibly selfless people. Some true inspirations and some amazing souls.

I am truly blessed.

No comments: