Yesterday was almost blissful. My day off from this painful procedure. Virtually no residual effects from the previous day's treatment...so, all was good.
Today, well, that's another story. I was actually shown the process without me on the table and I hate to say it, but I see why it's so hard to align me perfectly to the point of comfort. Firstly, I have a small head. So, the metal framed contraption fits a little low because that's where my bite is (for the dental impression). Once I am placed into the horizontal position and bolted into the table and floor, they have to reassess the measurements. The posts, where the contraption is bolted into, is then adjusted to fit the lines of the radiation beams. It is at that point that the pain begins. That is the part that gets adjusted just a little too much, in my humble opinion. When I asked why they couldn't just leave me in the original position, where I am at least a little more comfortable, they replied that they would end up radiating a different part of the brain. Remember, the radiation beams need to be aligned with the proper part of the brain under treatment. It doesn't matter that I experience headaches, pain in the neck, nausea, discomfort. What matters most is that they get it and get it right.
So, I will suck it up for the next 21 treatments as best I can, and as long as we don't have a repeat of the first day, I think I'll live.
The technicians are actually going above and beyond the call of duty by explaining every last detail to me and showing me every step (within safety measures). I am practically a qualified radiation therapist in my own right. I can set this thing up as well as any of them.
Even with all this new found information, I still need to be medicated by a relaxant of my choice...hmmmm. I will get through the next month and I will be a better and stronger person for the experience.
Today's treatment left me feeling extremely tired. I have a headache and a horrible pain in my neck...(no, it's not the kids or the husband), but no nausea...YAY!
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment