Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Pre-Op Intake

I fully understand the reason behind the intake procedure of the "pre-op". The nurse asks for your full medical history and is meticulous about writing down every single thing, so that the doctors won't miss anything at the time of review prior to surgery.

My intake was no different. After the nurse was done with the initial intake, the blood technician came to draw blood....again, standard procedure. This was followed by an ECG, which I suspect is also normal. Then comes the Clinical MD, who asks me the EXACT same questions as the nurse an hour prior. After answering all the questions for the second time, he then proceeded to explain all the gory details of the upcoming surgery. This guy didn't miss a trick and it was mind boggling. After he was done and another hour later, the Anesthesiologist came in.....and to my utter amazement, asked the EXACT same questions as the nurse and the doctor. Again, I answered them and he explained the whole procedure from his angle and that was that.

I have figured it all out. The nurse takes all the detailed information for the doctors and puts this information in one section of the chart. Then the doctor takes his information and places it in a different section of the chart. And the same with the Anesthesiologist. Therefore, no matter what section of the chart one goes to......it's all there. Why couldn't they just photocopy the nurses findings and that would be that. Then I wouldn't have to be there for three hours....it could just be one hour. Would that be too simple for everyone? My guess is yes.

So, after hearing all the gruesome details of the surgery and recovery, I am now quite angry. I am finally getting my strength back and feeling better than I have in the past six months. I have more energy to be with family and friends and do things outside the home. Why am I angry? Because in one month's time, it will all be taken away from me again. I will be having this brutal surgery. Recovery is no picnic.....and then, let us not forget.....another five weeks of radiation, this time to the brain. I will have to go through another several months of feeling like shit, and I resent that. Not to mention more time without my children....G-D, how I hate that.

I want to continue to feel better and stronger. I don't want to go through all this again. I realize I have very little choice in this matter, however, I am still entitled to be pissed off about it.

I pray with everything in me that this is the last of the medical horror story. After all is said and done I will be healthy and perfectly well. I will remain a Cancer Survivor until I am given the "Cancer Free" status.

Through thick and thin.....I remain.....

The Positive Thinker

No comments: