A quick little synopsis to get to my point. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer nearly four months ago. Was devastated beyond anything I've ever felt before. Had a radical hysterectomy the following day (as it was an urgent matter). Chemotherapy and Radiation followed a month later for a period of five weeks. Chemo once a week and Radiation every single day (except weekends). During this time I am fighting the fight of my life....literally. Every fibre of my being is involved in this fight. Physically, Emotionally, Intellectually and Spiritually. Fight, fight, fight! My treatments were completed about a month ago.....so, the question remains.....when do I become a cancer "survivor"?
Did I become a cancer survivor after my surgery and the tumour was removed? Did I become a cancer survivor after my treatments were completed? Do I become a cancer survivor after they give me clearance in three years? I don't know the official answer to these questions, but, I do know this......I pray every day, I try to spend my days taking care of me, and I wake up every morning thinking how fortunate I am to have woken up again, to see the sunshine, to enjoy the occasional blue sky this winter, to feel the cold and see snow falling......I have my family and my friends and I am blessed.
When does one become a Cancer survivor? I think I am a Cancer Survivor every time I wake up. Every time I realize I am here.....I am present. In that moment, I know, I am a Cancer Survivor.
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You became a survivor after spending the day in Chemo, with me!
lanz
Post a Comment