It amazes me day after day, week after week, how this place is run. By this place, I mean PMH, of course. The efficiency in dealing with hundreds of patients every day is astounding. The Chemo Unit sees up to one hundred and fifty patients per day. They sometimes get a bit backlogged, but all things considered, I'd say they are doing a fabulous job. Today, was different in a few ways:
1. My appointment was extremely early in the day.... way too early for a human body to experience radiation and chemo.
2. I was placed in a spot which made me a bit uncomfortable....the same spot where someone had a bad reaction to chemo on my very first day, which scared the &*%$ out of me.
3. My "older" sister came in to take me to my appointment today and it was a very different kind of bonding session.
If it's at all possible to have a "good time" during chemo, today was the day. My sister is something else - let me tell you. She is strong and patient and funny and loving. She is a wonderful sister and friend and "chemo companion". Thank you so much for helping the time go by fast and thank you for the laughter which brought us both to tears. I hope they let me back in next week.
We shared some very special memories today and I am grateful for the experience.
The nurse didn't seem to be in the best mood at the beginning of the treatment, and I decided that since she was responsible for putting the IV in me, I'd better change her mood and fast. So, I worked my magic....started with the compliments, then the jokes, by the time I got "plugged in", she was in a much better mood and that made the treatment easier for me. All in all the staff are amazing people and for obvious reasons require the patience of a saint.
I am truly blessed to have all this love and support for me and my family. I get to spend the evening with my wonderful husband and 2 out of 4 kids. I get to wish my beautiful niece a very happy birthday and all is right with the world.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment