Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Survived Another Round of Chemo

There's nothing like getting blasted from a co-chemo patient. I was sitting/lounging in the Chemo Dept. of PMH, hooked up to my special blend, when this woman asked me how I could be there without a bottle of water. I told her I wasn't feeling great and that it was actually hard to get the water down. She blasted me like nobodies business. At first I was taken aback, I mean, how dare she? But then I quickly realized that she was completely trying to save me from burning a hole in my esophagus. You see, apparently, if you don't drink mega liquids while on Chemo and the after drugs, it just sits in your esophagus and stomach burning it's way through. I am so naive about this and although the MD's tried to give me the "what to do when you're on Chemo" sheet...I regretfully didn't pay much attention. I am also aware that I must now start a very "bland" diet. No spice, nothing fried, not too much fat....basically nothing good lol. Drink, drink, drink.....water that is.

I am forever grateful to my new Chemo friend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart....and esophagus. It was quite inspiring to talk to a veteran-patient and pick up some tips based on her experiences. Interestingly enough, she was diagnosed with a similar Cancer 3 years ago. She is now back, fighting for her life and in incredible spirits.

People are placed in our lives for a reason and this woman was placed in my life, I suspect, to help me come to terms and deal with yesterdays news.

Now for the fun (ugh) part of today's blog. My Mother. She is an angel....she schleps me from here to there several times a week. She is here whenever I need her. She is even here when I don't need her. Let's face it....she is devastated by the fact that she has a daughter who has to deal with Cancer and various other illnesses. She is feeling helpless (I suspect), so she sometimes goes into overdrive. It can be anything from straightening my clothes and fixing my hair to picking lint off of me. It could be interrupting a conversation between the MD's and myself....because if she doesn't say what's on her mind now....she'll lose her train of thought or it could be that she just needs to feel that she's doing something productive a.k.a. being a Mom. Whatever it is, whenever it is, I love her and appreciate her more than words can ever express.

As for yesterday's news...I'm trying to deal with it, cope with it, fight it, and move on from it. It's the very best I can do.

No comments: